Custom Apps encompass most use cases and is the most flexible application type.
A custom application typically presents Box functionality to a user within a custom interface. Box offers pre-built user interface components known as UI Elements for functionality like browsing, search, viewing and more that can be customized, or you can build your own.
Custom Apps support three different types of authentication that determine the abilities and restrictions of your application. The following is a quick overview of the key differences.
|OAuth 2.0||JWT||App Tokens|
|Requires user involvement?||Yes||No||No|
|Requires admin approval?||No||Yes||Yes|
|Can act on behalf of other users?||Yes||Yes||No|
|Do users see Box?||Yes||No||No|
|Can create App Users?||No||Yes||No|
Learn more about the different types of authentication
A Custom App is best used when the application:
- Wants to use OAuth 2.0 or JWT authentication
- Wants to upload and download files
- Wants the freedom to access both their own files, as well as files owned by other users, even external users.
- Wants the option to list the application in the Box App Gallery
- Wants to provide integration into the Box Web App